Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Walk to Remember

Group photo near the suspension bridge (obviously)

A very good poster that I saw in Chinatown

The gorge behind me

Forest behind me

Big white rocks behind me

That's a chipmunk not a squirrel



Now that I have been in Vancouver for almost 3 weeks, I have come to know more people and visit more places. A week ago, I joined the International Club for a trip to Lynn Valley, a scenic park in the North Shore of the city. It’s most famous attraction was a suspension bridge spanning a massive gorge. That was the second time I went to Lynn Valley, the first time was with my residence mates but that trip wasn’t that fun because I didn’t really know anyone back then so it was quite boring for me. I didn’t actually sign up for the club on Club Day so it was by chance that I got their email telling people about the trip. I was supposed to meet them by the waterfront at half past twelve, but I underestimated the time needed to travel. Efficient as it is, Canada’s public transportation system was not on time, so I arrived about 10 minutes after the arranged time. I was really hoping that they would still be there as I had not informed anyone that I was coming and I also foolishly forgot to note down the contact numbers. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one late, so the group was still there when I arrived. It was almost one when we finally left. On my last trip, we went directly to Lynn Valley by bus (rented school bus), but this time, we would take the Seabus to the North Shore then take the regular bus to Lynn Valley. The appropriately named Seabus was actually a ferry. The ride was fairly short, only about 20 minutes long. After that it was a short bus ride to Lynn Valley.

Upon arrival, Lyndon, our group leader suggested we head for the picnic area, so we could sit down and have lunch. The way he said it made me believe that it was merely a short walk, but it actually took almost 2 hours to get there. Along the way, we paused to take photographs and gawk at the plants and trees around us. I was surprised that there were not many birds in the park, considering that it was more of a natural reserve than a park (natural reserve meaning that animals like bears and cougars do live here). Eventually, we arrived at the picnic area where we had lunch. One of us, Lily, was a smoker but she forgot to bring matches for this trip, or that was what she thought at first. Eventually, she found 2 matches in her bag and we all got a chance to read her cigarette box. It was “Peter Jackson” flavor, and we all had fun trying to read the words on it in French. Xavier, another one of our party, was French so he showed us the proper way to pronounce them. We also discussed about the SFU Student Services, which was horrible compared to UBC (for the uninitiated, SFU stands for Simon Fraser University- my university, and UBC is the University of British Columbia- the other major university in Vancouver). We talked about how SFU overcharges students for certain services like orientation, how they try to make money out of anything possible and how their student services really suck when compared with UBC’s. Yup, I learned a lot of things that day. Lyndon used to do volunteer work for UBC, making his comments credible. He was also very displeased with SFU’s International Office because of their lack of activities for international students, which was probably his main drive to start the International Club.

As the day drew to a close, we decided to end our little hiking trip. We stopped by the Suspension Bridge for a group photograph before heading back. Lyndon the drew from his wealth of experience working for the British Columbia Tourism Board. Dinner was typical HongKee food- that means it was just tolerable. It was amusing watching those who were unfamiliar with Chinese food struggle with the chopsticks. Xavier was exceptionally hilarious because he was holding a chopstick in one hand and a fork in the other. After dinner, we parted our ways but promised to meet up again for the next meeting, and the next outing…to Victoria (capital of British Columbia).

2 comments:

silentsoliloquy said...

Obey Giant!

Lim Shenji said...

Ha! So I was right about SFU all this while. The services sucked. I was kinda surprised that you didn't see lots of animals in the reserves. Most probably these areas are "reserved" for hunting activities. That explains all. Hehehe, just joking. Anyway, glad to know you're having fun.